2-3 tablespoons tomato sauce
1-2 tablespoons light soya sauce
4 green chillies, sliced
4 red chillies, sliced
4 small potatoes; boiled, skinned and cut into wedges
Oil for frying
1 onion, sliced finely
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
225 g (8 oz) Chinese cabbage cut into 5 cm (2 in) lengths
455 g (16 oz) bean sprouts
340 g ( 12 oz) fresh yellow noodles
Light soya sauce
2 tablespoons crispy shallots*
6 small local limes, halved
1. Heat iron wok till smoky. Put in 2 tablespoons oil , and fry onion slices till soft and transparent.
2 . Lightly toss in tomatoes and Chinese cabbage .
3 . Add bean sprouts and noodles and stir for1 minute .
4. Toss in [A] and mix well .
5. Push noodles to one side of wok. Add 2 tablespoons oil and scramble eggs (two at a time) with a sprinkle of light soya sauce. Mix egg and noodles thoroughly.
6. Add paste for noodles (see below) according to taste. Stir mixture over a very high heat for 1 minute. Remove to serving plate .
7. Garnish with crispy shallots, and local limes .
PASTE FOR NOODLES :
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt [B]
225 g (8 oz) onions
55 g (2 oz) dried chillies [C]
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon shrimp paste
340 ml (12 fl oz) oil
55 g (2 oz) dried anchovies
1. Grind [C] till fine.
2. Heat 115 ml (4 fl oz) oil in pan ; fry anchvies over a moderate heat till crisp . Drain and pound coarsely.
3. In a clean pan, heat remaining oil. Stir in [C] and fry till fragrant and oil comes through. Add B. Lower the heat; add the pounded anchovies. Cook for 2-3 minutes, remove to a bowl. Use as required. Store the remainder in a freezer.
Fry noodles over a very high heat to keep the bean sprouts crunchy and to prevent the noodles from becoming soggy.