1 lb 6 oz pork sparerib
(cut into bite-size pieces)
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons lard
1/2 teaspoon salt ] = A
1/2 teaspoon pepper ]
2 cloves garlic (bashed) ]
1 teaspoon preserved brown soya beans ] = B
1 teaspoon dark soya sauce ]
1 teaspoon salt ]
1 piece of cinnamon bark (1 inch) ]
1 teaspoon peppercorns ] = C
2 segments star anise ]
3 pints of boiling water ]
some crispy Chinese crullers ("Yu-Char-Koay", sliced)
1 tablespoon crispy shallots.
1. Use [A] to marinate sparerib for 1/2 hour.
2. Heat pan till very hot. Add 2 tablespoons of lard.Fry sparerib till well-browned. Set aside for later use.
3. Using a clean pan, heat 1 tablespoon lard.Add sugar and carameilze till light brown. Add [B]. Stir-fry for 1/2 minute.Then put in the fried sparerib and [C].
4. Let the consomme boil on high heat for 10 minutes. Then turn down the heat, let simmer for another 1.5 - 1.75 hours (or until the meat is tender). Discard excess oil from the surface before serving.
5. Serve hot with cruller slices.